Saturday, 24 September 2011

Podcast Episode 01- "Maiden Voyage"

After almost one whole year of talking about this here podcast that I've been meaning to put out... It's finally here! 
Podcast Artwork

This has been one of my pet projects and I've working on it for the last few months (whenever I could spare the time- I have a lot of pet projects). 

First of all, if you don't know what a Podcast is, I found a simple definition- A podcast is a digital audio or video file that is episodic; downloadable; program-driven, mainly with a host and/or theme; and convenient, usually via an automated feed with computer software.

My Podcast is called "Life In Stereo- Jonathan Leong's Guide to Life" and it's pretty much a talk show/ lifestyle kind of program. As of now, I have three main segments that make up the show. 1) 'Across the Universe'- hosted by Mildred. It's a 'Where to go and what to do' section. 2) My segment 'The Hand That Feeds'- is a book, music and film recommendation section. 3)'The Dirt'- my interview section with a gifted guest. 

I am giving out this fruit of much labor out for FREE to thank everyone out there who has shown their support for me and my work over the 8 odd years that I've been making my living as an artist. I hope to keep it free for always but I might need some sponsors to come on board because it's a shitload of work! The writing, editing, recording and production is seriously, muchos of my time-os. 

In this maiden episode, Mildred takes us "Across the Universe" on a guided tour of her visit to the Tiong Bahru market belt, in Singapore where she checks out 'Forty Hands', 'Strangelets' and 'Booksactually' giving us the low down on these couple of haunts.
Chic Coffee
Pricey Stationery and Knick Knacks
Liberal Arts Bookstore
Yong Siak Street (off tiong bahru market)- home of Forty Hands, Strangelets and BooksActually.
Your Host for the "Across the Universe" segment- Bubbly vixen, Mildred.


In 'The Hand That Feeds' I talk about the films: "Eastern Promises" and "The Boat That Rocked"/ "Pirate Radio", Books: Marvel's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" and "The Alcoholic", Music: Camera Obscura's "Let's Get Out Of This Country"and Rob Zombie's "Hellbilly Deluxe 2". 
Eastern Promises Dvd


Theatrical poster for 'The Boat that rocked'

Marvel's 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' Artwork

Camera Obscura's "Let's get out of this country" album Cover.

Rob Zombie's 'Hellbilly Deluxe 2' album artwork.

Lastly, for the chat segment of the show.... my first guest in the Hot Seat is American Stuntman/ Acrobat, Justin Laprall.  See a 5 minute demo of what he does for a living here, or check out his website www.Laprall.com. Here's a really cool clip he shot showcasing theatrical circus show "Voyage de la vie" tumblers and here's Another video! I was so annoyed I couldn't be in the second video showing my (limited) Tumbling skills... I was stuck in a meeting. :(
Justin Laprall- Stuntman/ Acrobat/ Friend. :)

I've also thrown in my cover of 'Billie Jean' just for you loyal Stereo fiends out there. If you haven't seen the video already. here's a link to it.

INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD MY PODCAST FOR FREE
1) Go to my website www.jonleong.com
2) Click on 'Podcast'
3) Scroll down and click the episode you want (there's only 1 there right now (Duh!)
4) Let the podcast load up (This might take a couple of minutes depending on your connection, the show is more than an hour long so be patient)
 5) Click the "Play" button on the player after it's finished loading to Enjoy!

This is what the player looks like after it's loaded and playing. Click the 'downward facing' arrow at the right end to "Save as source" & you have the mp3 file for your ipod/ mp3 player! Easy? Easy.

NOW, At this point, you can either choose to continue streaming the podcast and listen to it online OR download it onto your computer as an mp3 file for future listening and also for transfer into your Ipods, mp3 players, thumb drives and whatnot!

1) To Stream just click the play button as mentioned in step 5 (above)
2) To Download into your computer- Click the arrow pointing downwards at the right end of the Quicktime player bar. You should see an option that says "Save As Source". Click that and you can save the podcast anywhere you like on your computer. :)
If you face any problems, it's probably because I'm currently hosting my website on apple's mobile me service and my subscription will end next June. I have heard that sometimes mobile me gets a little bit slow and possibly problematic but changing hosting sites would mean lots of cash to hire web designers and web hosting server space. I'll deal with that next year, when I have to. Unless anyone out there has better ideas/ suggestions.

Feel free to leave me your comments and if you think someone might enjoy this podcast- GIVE IT TO THEM! I want this to reach as many ears as possible! Happy Listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment