Monday, 31 October 2011

Smile

This song has been sifting in and out of my mind since friday evening so I thought to share it with you all. Many of you might not know this but the original music for this song was written by the great entertainer, Charlie Chaplin in 1936 and it was used in his film 'Modern Times'.
Undeniable Genius.

Here's the beautiful original instrumental version.


The lyrics were written by two other guys and are simple but powerful. It never fails to make me feel waves of emotion when I sing the words to myself sometimes when I'm feeling down and out. Sometimes, a song really keeps me sane. 

It was first recorded with lyrics by one of my favourite singers, Nat King Cole. It's a perfect recording.


Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

It's also been covered by numerous other great artists and I've put videos of a couple of my favourites below

Michael Jackson
Judy Garland
Harry Connick, Jr.

Robert Downey, Jr. (betcha you didn't know the iron man could sing, the bass solo is what does it for me in this version)


So, If you're going through some tough times, nerves and uncertainty in life, that's the time you must smile and keep on trying. What's the use in crying, anyway? 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment