Sunday, 15 January 2012

Painstaking Passion for Stop Motion

There are a few things in life that I can "nerd out" about for hours on end. I can spend nights days and nights, hours and days can go by without me even noticing that I've been on about the same thing over and over. one of those things are animation. Well, I'm basically just obsessed with the production of media. I must have mentioned this time and time again. I would only buy a dvd or blu ray if it was chocked full of special making of features. It's not enough to watch the film, play the game and listen to the record. It's the process that intrigues me. Toy making, sculpture, special effects, filming, cameras, animation, voicing characters, concept art, scoring... it's all magic to me. I love it.

I've had the great fortune to make a friends who are involved in work like that The more I learn about the process, the more respect I have for the people that do such inspirational work. I, myself am always involved in sound production and creating music but no matter how much I know, to me it feels like I'm still merely scratching the surface of this wonderful art of creation. When I was working on a daily basis in "Voyage de la vie", it still blew my mind how everything came together in such harmony for that hour and a half.

I've had the luxury of trying out Autodesk's Mudbox at Lasalle College of the Arts yesterday and I can't begin to say how much I enjoyed it. I've only sculpted using clay and sculpey (I'm still rubbish at it) but the program coupled with a wacom could make me literally rot in my chair! I was glued to the screen. Transfixed by the spell of being able to create a fantasy world.

Anyway, I was motivated to take some time off half way through reading "Cracking Animation" today to blog because I remembered that this year is going to bring what I'm sure will be a big step forward with animation. Tim Burton's "Frankeweenie". (I have to confess, although I love most of the work that Burton has put out, some of them I wasn't quite into. But I understand that's just the way it is. As much as I love Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter,(although, she's his wife and I would probably do the same, had I a gorgeous wife) I do get a little tired of seeing them all the time. Oh well, maybe I just wish I had their jobs. Lol!)
My current reading. It's such an inspiring book.


Back to the "Frankenweenie".  I don't know how many of you own "The Nightmare Before Christmas" DVD, but that was were I first saw this Short Film. It was tucked away in the special features. Frankenweenie is basically a spin off "Frankenstein" but I loved it all the same. This Short is going to be released this year as a full length stop motion film! I found the short films on Youtube so you can clck on the links below. 

Part 1


Part 2
Part 3


Here are some production stills from the upcoming 2012 stop motion animated film.










While we're on the subject of wonderful stop motion films, I might as well just put a couple of other stop motion animated masterpieces that have touched me and turned me into such a fanboy of the medium. I'm not going into detail here about the stop motion animation process (you can read about it here) but it's safe to say it's a real painstaking labour of love to create these animated works of art. Enjoy! If there are any animators out there who need a voice! Get in touch. I'd love to meet you to exchange ideas! Would I love to work on character voicings? Hell yeah.

*Wallace And Gromit- This British Duo from Aardman Studios made me fall in love with the medium with "A Grand day out"

They made a full length film too, "The Curse of the Were Rabbit"



*Coraline- This stop motion adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel is amazing


*Shaun the sheep

*The Work Of Ray Harryhausen!

*Faust (1994) by Jan Svanmajer


* Tim Burton- Vincent (1982) I love that this film was made the year I was born. It's voiced by Horror Icon Vincent Price.

* Robot Chicken- Where love for retro cartoons and jokes come together in crazy short attantion span TV.

* Gumby- This green dude and his horse is just too cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment