Sunday, 24 February 2013

The Cannibal that walks free

I'm supposed to be working on my dissertation for my music degree today but I've had such a mentally exhausting week. I was checking out some documentaries online, you know,  procrastinating and taking a break. When I came across this video... I figure I should share it. Bear in mind, this could be extremely disturbing to some people. Viewer discretion is advised.

I had no knowledge of this famous case of cannibalism prior to today and I was deeply unnerved by the fact that a man that confessed to his crimes of murder, necrophilia and cannibalism was released back into society and continued to make a living exploiting his terribly disturbing crime.

I think the biggest thing that I took away from watching this is that, it's best to be a little careful of strangers, never take your personal safety for granted and you can never, ever judge a book by it's cover.

"Interview with a Cannibal"- Issei Sagawa murdered an innocent woman and spent three days eating her flesh. Due to loopholes in the law, Issei is a free man to this day.

"The Cannibal that walked free"- Issei Sagawa (佐川 一政 Sagawa Issei, born April 26, 1949) is a Japanese man who in 1981 murdered and cannibalized a Dutch woman named Renée Hartevelt. After his release, he became a minor celebrity in Japan and made a living through the public's interest in his crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment